Our government has requested Greater Manchester to introduce a Clean Air Zone (CAZ). The most polluting commercial vehicles would have to pay a charge to travel in the Zone. Although billed as a Manchester Clean Air Zone, its boundary is Greater Manchester. So even if you do not travel into or through the city of Manchester, other journeys within or traversing the boundaries could. To find out more about the Proposals and how to have your say, please read on.
It will impact DVLA Category C vehicles .
- So it affects vans, buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, minibuses and heavy goods vehicles. If they do not meet certain emissions standards then they will have to pay a daily charge to drive in the Zone.
- Cars, motorbikes and mopeds are not included.
- It covers local roads but NOT those operated by Highways England ie. motorways (M6M62, M61 etc) and major trunk roads.
- It will be in operation 24 hours a day, 7 days week!
- Greater Manchester are asking for in excess of £150m government funding. This will be to help local businesses move to cleaner vehicles and avoid paying daily charges.
- Business are encouraged to give their view.
The CAZ boundary would conform tp the existing administrative boundary of Greater Manchester for the most part.
Explore the Clean Air Zone Proposals
You can see the proposals and give your views on key elements now. Apparently we only have until midnight Thursday 3rd December left in order to do so! This is the closing date of a public consultation .
However you can request to be updated by email on further developments.
Have Your Say on the Manchester Clean Air Zone Proposals
To have your say, you can complete an online questionnaire.
Greater Manchester are asking for your views on:
- Elements of the Clean Air Zone such as the details of the proposed boundary, the proposed operation and the proposed daily charge, discounts and exemptions
- Supporting measures such as the funds and vehicle finance available to support impacted vehicles
- The impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the ability of businesses / organisations to respond to the proposals
For support to respond to this consultation or to request copies of the consultation document and questionnaire you can contact email@example.com or 0161 244 1100. Support for non-English speakers is available on 0161 244 1100.
Want to comment on your concerns? Please feel free to do so via this article or our Facebook page. We will pass on any comments to Greater Manchester too should you wish.